Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Into The Wild

 Into The Wild is one of my favorite books. It is about a young man's journey through life and to the Alaska wilderness. He wanted to spend time in nature. While his trip does not end up successful from most standards (he dies), his journey is truly magnificent. I highly recommend checking out the book or movie.

As previously mentioned I have always had a fascination with Alaska. There is just something pristine about it. The last true bit of nature. I sent the Save The Date up to Alaska in hopes of getting a photo in front of Mt. McKinley, the highest mountain in North America. Unfortunately the card made it there just a bit too late and the park was already closed.

Once again (I sound like a broken record) the Park Rangers went above and beyond for the Project. The Park Ranger, Alex, not only took a photo of the card at the sign but, well, I'll let him explain:

Hello Kyle and Katie -
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I think your travel list is really cool, and am happy to help with the project. At the moment, unfortunately, the Denali Park Road is closed just five
miles into the park - too low in elevation to gain views of Mount McKinley. So, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of photoshopping the card onto a picture of the mountain. The image, while taken a while ago, is pretty comparable to what the mountain and scenery looks like now - not too much snow, and really low-angle light that tends to bathe the mountains in
very pretty pink alpenglow.

So there you have it. Another Park Ranger doing everything they can to help us. Hopefully we can get a card back to Denali for a picture in front of Mt. McKinley.

Thanks again Alex.

Kyle O.