Thursday, September 30, 2010

Am I Flat Stanley?

Hello again-

While I don't necessarily plan on updating this blog everyday I felt like I should during the beginning stages, that way I might even get a comment or two.

In talking with an acquaintance yesterday I told him about what I am trying. His response was "Oh, like Flat Stanley."  This left me a little confused and I immediately jumped on The Google (that's how kid's say it these days right?) and headed on over to Wikipedia, the mother of all resources. According to Wikipedia

The Flat Stanley Project was started in 1995 by Dale Hubert, a third grade schoolteacher in London, Ontario, Canada. It is meant to facilitate letter-writing by schoolchildren to each other as they document where Flat Stanley has gone with them. Dale Hubert received the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence in 2001 for the Flat Stanley Project.
The Project provides an opportunity for students to make connections with students of other member schools who've signed up with the project. Students begin by reading the book and becoming acquainted with the story. Then they make paper "Flat Stanleys" (or pictures of the Stanley Lambchop character) and keep a journal for a few days, documenting the places and activities in which Flat Stanley is involved. The Flat Stanley and the journal are mailed to other people who are asked to treat the figure as a visiting guest and add to his journal, then return them both after a period of time. The project has many similarities to the Travelling gnome prank except, of course, for the Flat Stanley Project's focus on literacy.

So there you have it. I never thought the project was "unique" but it is quite similar. From my understanding of Flat Stanley there is one big difference between that and what I am doing. In Project Save The Date I am not asking people to forward it along. I simply would like people who are near a monument, roadside attraction, or any other worldly landmark to request a save the date from me, or simply print off the picture of it, and take a picture of it in front of the monument, statue, landmark etc.

Well this is it for now. I am hoping that I will have my first response soon so that I can post the picture of it. Thanks for reading.

Feel free to email me at ProjectSaveTheDate@gmail.com if you have any suggestions of places or want to help out.

Kyle O.

Newly Sent
Rose Bowl Stadium
South Pole (fingers crossed)
Crater Lake
Fenway Park
Luxor Hotel
Bellagio
Cesar's Palace